This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sleepless - Princess Jazz
]]>

« Home | Good Times » | Sister » | Old Ladies » | Reclaimed » | Fear » | Complaining » | Busy busy » | Poodle » | Mmmmm » | Halloween of Ages Past »

Monday, May 09, 2005

Sleepless

I realize that it has been a while since my last post. I've been pretty busy this past week and exhausted so other things have been taking priority. I'll tell you my most interesting story now though:

My dad had surgery to repair a hernia on Wednesday. His operation was delayed a few hours but everything went fine and he was home a few hours later. That night as my sister and I were getting ready for bed, about 12:30, we heard a huge crash and ran downstairs to find my dad passed out on the floor. He was walking from the bathroom to the bedroom and passed out. He slammed his head into a big book about Hutterites and gave himself a concussion. We got him up and I was helping him to the bedroom when he went all weird and passed out again and dropped to the floor. His eyes were open though and he was just sort of frozen. We couldn't get him to respond for a few minutes so we called 911. The ambulance came and they checked him out but by that time he was fine and embarassed that we had called him. So, we all went to bed.
I got up at 4am to check on him just to make sure that his concussion wasn't too serious. Long story short we went through the whole routine again but this time we convinced him to go to the hospital.

Burr and I went along to keep my mom company. The doctors said that he must have still had some of the anasthetic in his veins and when he walked around it realeased into his blood and put him out. That's why his unconscious state was so weird. It was like he was frozen. They flushed his system with 4 bags of IV fluid and sent him home.

The ambulance driver told my mom that 50% of their calls are to clean up mistakes made by the hospitals. People are being rushed through surgeries and sent home way too soon. Just a few years ago someone having this surgery my dad had would be in the hospital 3 or 4 days. They kept him only 4 hours.

We're just blessed that he didn't injure himself seriously when he crashed to the floor. Fortunately nothing serious happened.

All of that explains part of my tiredness - I only got 2 hours of sleep that night.


Wow, Jazz that's quite the story. I'm really glad your dad is ok.

Nice to see our tax dollars being used effectively.

But seriously, it's good to hear that things are settled with your dad.

Justin

P.S. Way to sign off just when I came back online!

Post a Comment

   << Home