This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Dancing and Diversity (or, My Love for Immigrants!) - Princess Jazz
]]>

« Home | Bleedin' In a Whole New Way » | Full and Guilt Free » | Stupid D » | Distractions! » | Spiderman » | Links and Comments » | Frig » | Research » | Retreat » | Sad Immoral World »

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Dancing and Diversity (or, My Love for Immigrants!)

So I'm currently in the Student Life Center waiting for Ridesafe so I can go home. I came from an Embassy Prayer planning meeting (which went well and was productive - yay!) and I figured I could wait in the quiet of the SLC and get caught up on some horrible but necessary Gerontology reading. How I was mistaken - the SLC is a giant party! There's some sort of festival going on which consists mostly of dancing from what I can see. But it's all good because it's beautiful brown people, in their beautiful Indian clothing, doing some very fun-looking dances.

It's so cool to be exposed to so many different cultures here at university. Growing up in my town, everyone was white. There was one black kid and one korean kid when I was young - and both of them were adopted by white families. Moving here for school was a bit of a culture shock, for two reasons. One - moving from the country to the city was a very big adjustment. But bigger than that was the shock of all the different looking people. Half my school is Asian/oriental, and another good sized portion are Brown. It's so cool to see the different expressions of their cultures; the food, the clothing, the languages. So Cool.

Anyone who knows me well knows about my love for immigrants. I think Canada is blessed to be so open to diversity. I've been thinking about this lately. how boring would our country be if everyone was just the same? It adds so much dimension to our communities and our country as a whole to have all the different cultures, not only present, but evident. It's neat that people can retain some of their own culture upon immigrating here. I know that if I were to emmigrate to some other country I would definitely want to hold on to my Canadian identity.

All of this rambling is just to say that I'm glad that we are the way we are as a country when it comes to the issue of cultural diversity. It's a cool thing to have a special unique heritage and to be able to celebrate that.


Amen to that! I'm so ever glad that I immigrated here to Canada because Hong Kong is definitely not a diverse city! I wonder sometimes what life would be like if I never immigrated. I don't think I'd have friends from different cultures, and I sure wouldn't have the opportunity to try *authentic* ethnic foods! I just love it here in Canada... one reason why I want to work with immigrants in the future. :o)

Oh yeah, and when I went back to HK and China, I was rather overwhelmed by all the Chinese people! :oP Even being Chinese, there was a culture shock. Seeing white people made me so happy because it reminded me of Canada. ;o)

Anyway... good entry. :oD

Halloo dahlink!
Don't worry about the "I'm sorry" thing. Not everyone feels the same way I do about it so it's not a big deal.

Here's something funny, since there's hardly any black people in KW, when I go home, I stare. I feel really bad about it, but I stare anyway just cuz I'm not used to seeing black people for 8 months out of the year ha ha ha

Canada is fun. It still amuses me how all the cultures seem to live in the same areas (i.e. "Chinatown")... ^_^

Post a Comment

   << Home